What is the first thing that usually strikes your mind when you hear SEO? It’s KEYWORDS. Also, they are the texts that aid search engines provide relevant results for people looking for content or products.
With the tools available on Google and other search engines, keyword research is helping to understand the keywords used by users and give them the best results possible.
So, for any business to be popular and get more traffic, keywords selection, and proper utilization help a lot. At the same time, businesses should move forward with a smart and broader outlook while choosing keywords.
Factors like business goals and needs, current market trends, target groups and the popularity of keywords must be considered in the process.
But this is where people businesses often find themselves in a state of confusion. At this point, it is vital to have some basic information like what long tail keywords and short tail keywords are? What are their functions? And which one suits your business?
How short tail keywords and long tail keywords differ from each other?
As their names suggest, the former are short and the later are comparatively long. But broadly, each of them has a definition and has varied importance in terms of how they affect businesses.
Short Tail Keywords
- Short tail keywords are usually less than three words. They are most often searched when compared to Long tail keywords. They are also called as short heads.
They are the words that strike your mind when you want to search for something on the internet. But short tail keywords are not specific and include broad search results. There is no doubt that these keywords draw a lot of traffic to your website.
Due to their less specificity, there are greater chances of driving wrong traffic to your website. In most of the cases, conversion rate seemed to be low even if there is a great traffic.
Talking about the competition, it is intense for these keywords. There is greater bidding and more people using them. It affects new businesses in the market.
It is not surprising that short tail keywords demand greater investments because of the demand from competitors form the industry. Because it is the conversion rate that matters to a business at the end of day, short tail keywords are less effective considering the above factors.
Long Tail Keywords
- Long tail keywords on the other hand are characterized by more words. They are not widely used by businesses and involve less competition in terms of bidding. They prove to have more advantages than short tail keywords.
- They do not bring huge traffics because of the fact that they are specific in nature. They provide search results that may be comparatively accurate and with less fuss.
- For example keyword like “SEO services in Hyderabad” is more specific than “SEO services” and the user gets relevant results that could cater to their requirement.
- The traffic that your site gets through long tail keywords shows greater chances of conversions. Since they know the purpose of their search, they soon can become buyers of your products.
- Because of the length and less competition, the page ranking and ad ranking of businesses will always be high.
- Though they prove to be favorable for digital marketers, it is important to understand the markets and find long tail keywords. With keywords still being the major contributors of success in social media marketing, you can always outsource this work to a social media agency or a digital marketing services company.
Hence, if you are new in the industry and not ready to invest huge amounts, Long tail keywords are the best. But balancing is always better than too much or too less. Businesses should balance the use of short tail keywords and long tail keywords to ensure a safe position in the market.